and so it goes...

my silence is my self defense

Saturday, April 24, 2004

thank you

GerritVB (8:33:04 PM): again, you have no means of replying to your blog, so bear with me, this is going to be a somewhat long reply to your latest post, but only because I am quoting something.
GerritVB (8:33:44 PM): The following is what Socrates said after he was sentenced to death, and I find it relevant to your post.
GerritVB (8:34:52 PM): Not much time will be gained, O Athenians, in return for the evil name
which you will get from the detractors of the city, who will say that
you killed Socrates, a wise man; for they will call me wise even
although I am not wise when they want to reproach you. If you had waited
a little while, your desire would have been fulfilled in the course of
nature. For I am far advanced in years, as you may perceive, and not far
from death. I am speaking now only to those of you who have condemned me
to death. And I have another thing to say to them: You think that I was
convicted through deficiency of words -- I mean, that if I had thought
fit to leave nothing undone, nothing unsaid, I might have gained an
acquittal. Not so; the deficiency which led to my conviction was not of
words -- certainly not. But I had not the boldness or impudence or
inclination to address you as you would have liked me to address you,
weeping and wailing and lamenting, and saying and doing many things
which you have been accustomed to hear from others, and which, as I say,
are unworthy of me. But I thought that I ought not to do anything common
or mean in the hour of danger: nor do I now repent of the manner of my
defence, and I would rather die having spoken after my manner, than
speak in your manner and live."

and thank you too, joe. i know i don't say it often enough, but thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home