and so it goes...

my silence is my self defense

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

can't sleep, this is bothering me

yale has fantastic science. i mean, i'm currently at one of the top biology programs in the country. and that's great. biological research is what i want to do. it's why i'm here.

but it isn't enough. the other reason i decided to come to yale instead of a number of other places was because i thought i would have other opportunities outside of science. opportunities to be involved in theater and music and art, things that have been the other half of my life for as long as i can remember.

but new haven and yale don't actually hold those opportunities. sure i can try to audition for plays that the undergrad dramat group does. but the competition is too fierce and i'm not that good. i can try to audition for the grad student a capella group, but the turnover of members is too slow, and they just don't need more female singers. so in the end, all i get is the science. and that's not enough.

that's why i'm bored all the time and i feel like i have nothing exciting to look forward to each day. i don't look forward to the end of the work day, because there's nothing at the end. i go home and do nothing. sure i like being in lab, and i sort of look forward to going to do experiments i guess, but it's not the same. this is why i'm upset. this is why i'm always mad at certain people in pittsburgh, because they have the opportunities to continue with their lives and move on to better and more exciting things and i feel stuck. with nothing to balance out the science and labwork, i become a cranky, depressed, and irrational person. i get upset over really stupid things.

i don;t think this is something specific to yale, unfortunately. i'd probably be feeling the same way if i had gone to ucsf or penn or duke or wherever. i don;t know what to do. i don;t know where to find my other half, my balance, my whatever i need to survive.

the problem is, if i decide that this is so awful and i can't deal with it and leave, i have no where else to do that would solve this problem. sure i could take a year off and go home, but i'd go crazy there too. at least here i still have the biology to think about.

i feel like the only thing i look forward to is going out with friends and drinking. which makes me feel like an alcoholic. which sucks.

sorry, i just had to get that all out. maybe now i'll be able to fall asleep. but probably not.

i don't know. somebody help me out of this awful pit of despair i'm in. find me something to care about.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    hey, I can totally understand where you're coming from... maybe you should try to create your own opportunities. you were on the board for 2 years, so you know a lot about theatre... try putting up your own show! or maybe start a new, all-female a capella group with anyone who's interested. I bet the a capella groups that exist would be willing to give you the names of people who expressed interest but couldn't get into their too-small groups.

    you are right, you can't just do bio. you'd go crazy. but you are also creative, and an experienced leader, so you have the ability to make your own opportunities. it will be harder, but that might make it all the more fulfilling.

    miss you!

    alex

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    actually i've been thinking about starting a female acappella group here. i'm trying to talk to people about the best way to go about this. i hope this will help.

    thanks for all your words of wisdom. i miss you too!

    catherine

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Catherine,
    I am having the same issues actually. I can't just be happy with science. However, my other half is not so much activity-oriented, like yours is, but is more intellectually oriented. I was a philosophy double major. I miss taking art history and philosophy and using different parts of my brain besides just the science part. I really miss talkng to people with wildly different perspectives and getting into impassioned debates.

    I also came to Yale expecting there to be a lot more crosstalk between the disciplines.

    Anyway, these days I keep thinking that I should make the effort to go and see all the shows at the theater and the gallery that interest me, and all the talks by speakers in different areas that sound intriguing on the yale social events bulletin. But I am not as confident as I would like and need somebody to go with. Unlike you I'm not very good at making things happen for myself.

    Also, I want to make friends in other departments and start socializing with them. This is something Casey and Jade have expressed an interest in as well. Maybe I'll think of joining the senate and meeting people through there... But yeah, this is mostly just so you know that I understand how you're feeling and that I often feel the same way. I know I keep saying we should hang out and do stuff together... you should know I'm not being flaky when I say that.... next semester maybe we can start doing things outside of the MCGD bubble.

    Hope things are going well for ya.
    -M

     

Post a Comment

<< Home